I am currently on page 310 of the 460 page work (67% completed) Some lessons learned so far:
- There are STILL errors in the manuscript. I don’t mean fiddling things like a missing period. A bit character had his name suddenly change from ‘A’ to ‘B’ within five paragraphs. Lesson: Even your Alpha readers will miss things.
- Keep a close eye on your tenses. They will change on you
- Pay attention to the flow of your prose. This means read long stretches of prose at a time. I have detected many ‘speed bumps’ along the way, and have chopped out poorly constructed sentences.
- I continuously find repetitious verbiage in my writing. Not so much words repeating, although there is some of that. But I find bloat in phrases that repeat the same thing as the setting.
- When Robert Heinlein was told to cut Stranger In A Strange Land (so the story goes), he went through the entire work, cutting one or two words out of every sentence. This is a great idea.
The goal to finish Pass 7 is 8/3. Then it’s off to the agent.